Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Brief Review: A Colorado Country Girl's Self Bondage

I don't know what originally attracted me to this story (NSFW); it's possible that I thought the title intriguing. I don't even remember how I initially found it. A lot of BDSM flavored erotica tends to scare me away, because thoughts of people being hurt and thoughts of sex mostly conflict in my mind. Ropes and chains are cool, but whips are kind of freaky.

Anyway, when I first read it, only two chapters had been posted. I enjoyed reading them, and a few days ago, I again looked the story up. As of this writing, four chapters are up, a bit more than 12,000 words, so far. I don't know if the author intends to continue adding to it or if it is now finished. I hope she has more to say.

The author claims to be a 49-year-old woman and that the story is true autobiography about her youth. I do have some doubts. For instance, she claims to have hung herself from her arms for improbably long amounts of time, and to even have fallen asleep while hanging overnight. Is it possible? I don't really know, but if I had to guess, I would guess not. And when she relates the scene of her discovery that her mother was kinky as well, my BS meter screamed.

That said, I'm not sure if my doubts damaged my enjoyment of the supposed recollections that much. There is something charming about the stories whether they are true or not. In a favorite incident of the reviewer, she talks about first hogtieing herself and then using a pencil stuck through a wad of paper held in her teeth to turn the pages of her high school reading homework, thus accidentally reinventing the ball gag. If it's true, it's cute. If it's not true, it's a humorous authorial invention.

The story is told as a series of such vignettes held together by the narrator's growing awareness that she is seriously kinky. She talks about first discovering that bondage turns her on when her boyfriend playfully ties her up at age sixteen, about learning how to tie herself up, about inventing her own rack (the painful kind), about discovering her exhibitionist streak, and so on, all told through the eyes of a teenager excitedly discovering her true self. I liked it.


Technorati tags: reviews, recommended reading

No comments: